In July, just as I was about to cancel the subscription, Disney+ released two new films: Frozen 2 and the film version of the hit musical, Hamilton. I decided to pay another £5.99 so we could see these two films. First, we watched Frozen, which was, in a word, trippy. The next evening Nathan was out so I watched Hamilton on my own.
Honestly, my first impression was that it was an overrated American version of Les Mis. I couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. But then the next day, one particular tune was stuck in my head and I decided to watch the whole thing again.
Now, six weeks later, I am somewhat obsessed. I have watched so many videos about Hamilton, from music that was cut from early drafts of the script, to interviews with the cast. Many of the lines are rapped which makes them fascinating to listen to and tricky to sing. I put the soundtrack on if I’m ever making a long journey and I know lots of songs word for word (although not all of them yet!).
So I have put together a list of my top 10 favourite lyrics from Hamilton.
10. Martha Washington named her feral tom cat after him‘ – Aaron Burr
In this one, Arron Burr is referring to Hamilton and his care-free bachelor days, and it just makes me laugh!
9. Here comes the general! – ensemble
I like this because it’s powerful. Sung along with words like ‘rise up’, this is one of my favourite songs. It’s also fun to sing and replace the word ‘general’ with ‘incumbent’!
8. Immigrants, we get the job done – Lafayette & Hamilton
The line apparently got so much applause when the show first opened that an extra two bars of music had to be written to give the audience time to cheer! I give a whoop every time I hear it!
7. ‘Laughin’ at my sister cos she wants to form a harem’ ‘I’m just saying if you really loved me you would share ‘im!‘ – Eliza & Angelica Schuyler
Again, this is a funny line that rhymes, is fast paced and makes me chuckle. Said in jest, it shows how fond the Schuyler sisters were of each other.
6. No one has more resilience or matches my practical tactical brilliance – Lafayette
I might get this on a mug. Lin-Manuel Miranda, who wrote the musical and was also the first person to play Hamilton, is a genius. This line is said unbelievably quickly, and one day, I aim to get it out without getting tongue-tied!
5. ‘I know my sister like I know my own mind, you will never find anyone as trusting or as kind’ – Angelica Schuyler
A tribute to my own very lovely sister.
4. We are outgunned, out manned, outnumbered, out planned. We gotta to make an all out stand, and yo, I’m gonna need a right hand man! – George Washington
I feel like this at least four days out of seven. Life is overwhelming at the minute – not as overwhelming as a people seeking independence and fighting all kinds of oppression, I know. But this line gives me courage.
3. I’ve been reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine so men say that I’m intense or I’m insane – Angelica Schuyler
The two leading ladies in the musical, Angelica and Eliza, are full of brains and strength. After this line, Angelica goes on to say ‘we hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal, and when I meet Thomas Jefferson, Imma compel him to include women in the sequel!‘ It’s women like this who fought for the rights I often take for granted, and I love to hear them sing!
2. And yo I’m just like my country, I’m young, scrappy & hungry, I am not throwing away my shot! – Alexander Hamilton
I just love the ambition and drive in this line. I think it captures a lot of who Hamilton was and what he experienced. This is how I feel the other three days of the week!
- And when push comes to shove, I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love! – King George III
It was a tough pick, but this line gets top spot! This is from the song that got me hooked on Hamilton in the first place. King George III sings about breaking up with the colonies and it is some of the funniest theater I have ever seen! I can’t explain why it tickles me quite so much. All I can suggest is that you Youtube it, get Disney+ or book tickets as soon as you can!
2 thoughts on “Hamilton: top 10 lyrics”
My family got Disney+. It was because of Hamilton, but due to the other films that the service has to offer, we are keeping it. I may be a musical theatre nut, but couldn’t really get into Hamilton